Thursday, September 24, 2009

Things I learned about Gorillas today



One of the perks of working on the set de-construction for Zookeeper is you get "behind the scenes" access to the exhibits. It's a little surreal looking up from dismantling a streetlight to realize that you are the main attraction for a herd of kangaroos, but it beats "cubicle world".

Went to the Tropical Rainforest exhibit on my coffee break and started talking to one of the gorilla handlers. We found out that:

1. Gorillas will adopt other gorillas' babies.

2. They regurgitate their food so they can digest it better.

3. Their diet is so low in protein that they eat their own poop so they can get as much nutrition as possible.

4. They love parties and opening presents.

5. You can bake a gorilla-digestible birthday cake by substituting ground monkey chow for flour, sugar-free pineapple juice for sugar and frosting it with frozen yogurt. Apparently they cannot digest sugar or fat, so that's why their muscle tone is so amazing.

Oh, and also, I let a capuchin monkey nibble on my earlobe during my afternoon break but don't tell my husband!
Share/Bookmark

No comments: