Thursday, August 10, 2006

Life's Little Victories #84

In tribute to the excellent cartoonist and Malden High alumni, Kieth Knight, kreator of "The K Chronicles" here is one of life's little victories for me; Seeing an idea that you had about 5 years ago show up as a Kottke.org headline on how to save money on airfare!

OLD HAG (not me, silly, the commentor on LifeHacker!) says:
"When traveling internationally, look for an agency -- yup, a real live agency -- in a neighborhood with a high percentage of citizens from the country you're traveling to (Williamsburg for Poland, for example). Those agencies buy out huge chunks of a flight and you can get cheaper fares -- I once went to the Czech Republic for $700 when everyone else was paying about $1200, and I have heard equally good things about flights to China, etc."

Yes! This does work. I went to a travel agency in Boston's ChinaTown about 5 years ago and got two (pre-9/11) roundtrip tickets to HCMC (Saigon) for about $1,200 bucks each during the Tet season which is the equivalent of scoring roundtrip tickets to New York on Thanksgiving weekend for $200. The only problem I had was when the travel agent didn't realize my name is Jennifer and typed it onto my ticket as Vennifer. ( Probably what the tabloids will come up with for Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaugn's wedding)
Share/Bookmark

No comments: