Thursday, April 20, 2006

Advice on Advice

Nothing gets people going like the sight of your bulging belly. Mom mags always have at least one mention in each issue about unsolicited advice, how to deal with it, blah blah. Since this was my first pregnancy, I just took everything people told me and filed it away in my memory in case it came in handy. After 9 months, delivery, postpartum in the hospital and being home for a week, here's my advice about advice:

1) Just like with a medical diagnosis, always try to get a second or even third opinion. One lactation nurse told me that a "little pain" is normal when the baby latches on. Another reacted in horror when I told her it was hurting a little and said it was NEVER supposed to hurt. Every mother I've talked to says it does hurt a little.

2) Take every opinion with a grain of salt. Remember, every nurse is different with different experiences. Every baby is different. There is no "typical" pregnancy, delivery, or baby.

3) The best advice I got for the entire experience came from a man who told me not to worry over anything, but just to enjoy every moment for what it was.
Share/Bookmark

No comments: